Monday, October 13, 2014

Guess who's back, back again...

Howdy ho neighbors.  Sorry for the lengthy hiatus, but life has been running me ragged over the last couple of weeks, and after the rigidity of posting during the baseball season, I was mostly ok with it.  I am still trying to figure out where my niche is during football season and there are still a couple of outstanding baseball posts I would like to get to (hopefully this week) like the "Tater Tot Awards for Fantasy Baseball Playing Gentlemen and the Players Whom They Own But Not Like That" and I feel like there is another Goulet lurking around the corner (isnt there always?) Sometimes its Robert (see bottom of post)...sometimes its Michel. 
Anyways, since I have been thoroughly entertained by the playoff baseball this year (and I had predicted Orioles - Dodgers as the World Series...at least I might be half right?), I was digging around on the ESPN website.  I came across the "experts" picks and realized that, not only am I apparently a more qualified expert than almost all of the people that are working there, but that I am also a much better person (this is a completely baseless claim, by the way). 
As a group (there were roughly 70 people predicting), they missed on every series.  EVERY. SINGLE. SERIES.  They handily picked the A's (61.4%) to not leave Jon Lester in the game too long and then get stolen based to death by the Royals and 55.7% picked the Pirates because they forgot that Madison Bumgarner was pitching for the Giants and that he is indestructable in months that start with the letter "O".  75% picked the Angels to beat the Wild Card winner (and to be the enemy of fun).  57% picked the Tigers bullpen to not completely self destruct and singlehandedly keep its team from advancing against the Orioles.  94.3%(!!!!!!) picked the Nationals to beat the Giant/Pirates (who would be a spectacular team with a glorious mascot that I would cheer for at every possible occurance).  81.4% picked the greatest pitcher on Earth to not blow 2 straight outings and become the only pitcher EVER for the Dodgers to lose his first 4 playoff starts. 
Obviously picking every thing wrong in the LDSes, they didnt get anything right in the LCSes.  Only 3 of the 70 experts picked the Royals to continue buying drinks for their fans into the World Series (14 picked the Orioles, but that is looking more and more unlikely with each Eric Hosmer or Mike Moustakas extra inning HR (WE STILL HAVE MOOSETACOS!!!!).  Over in the NL, the Cards (6) and Giants (1) combined to get 10% of the votes.  Seriously?  1 f'ing person thought it was a good idea to play the "its an even year and the Giants are playing" card?  Whoops.  In all 9 of the 70 people have their winner still left, but only 3 have Royals or Giants.  Hooray experts.  With that kind of accuracy, I am about to declare myself an expert in the fine art of fish hatchery...or perhaps animal husbandry (which is sadly not remotely close to what is sounds like).

I'll leave you, for now, with a throwback to the Colts and Bears Super Bowl.  Watch out for Goulets!
Super Bowl

No comments:

Post a Comment