Friday, August 1, 2014

Friday Funday.

So....lots to cover today.  We've got the MLB trade deadline yesterday, ass hDLes, we've got the end of July leaderboards to check out and...the universe might be coming to an end...Bob finally answered the questions that I sent him.  The anticipation is killing me on those.  As I am writing this, I have not yet actually looked at Bob's answers, I just know that they are there sitting in my inbox, mocking me...taunting me...  We'll let them wait a little longer.

Bud Norris...Meat Head
First, every year when July 31st rolls around there is the promise of mega deal amongst baseball's best and worst teams with big name stars changing laundry and altering the course of the rest of the season.  And just about every year, there is nothing but bitter disappointment.  Last year there were only 3 trades that I can find that happened on deadline day, Justin Maxwell for a minor leaguer, Ian Kennedy for Joe Thatcher, someone named Matt Stiles and a draft pick, and the spectacularly excellent Bud for Hoes trade. <<Quick tangents - How has the Bud Norris for LJ Hoes trade not become the single greatest trade in the history of trades.  Where were the "Orioles trade Hoes to Astros for Bud" or "Astros-Orioles exchange Bud/Hoes" headlines?  If there are some, I need to see them, hold them, love them.  I will literally print them out and hang them up at my desk at work, then I will take pictures of them and post them here.  If you find one, send it my way or post a link here.  I dont care that it features two players who are pretty much horseshit, and in Norris's case a complete and total douche bag.  ok...end tangent>>
I Got Hoes...in different area codes, area codes...HO-OO-OES!
These trades are hardly worth remembering and its hardly an isolated incident.  In 2012, the biggest names to switch teams were Ryan Dempster (better known to Cubs fans as Ryan Dumpster), Shane Victorino and Hunter Pence (in Phillies auctioning off players for peanuts.  2011 saw a past his prime Rafael Furcal move to STL and legit All Star Michael Bourn traded for lottery ticket prospects like Brett Oberholtzer.  Obviously some of the lack of star power is because there are trades made before Deadline Day, but there hasnt been a deadline day I can remember that didnt start out with "Big name star X might be on the move today."  Well this season, Deadline Day started with a bang as the YoAnus - moLester trade was announce fairly early.  I wont get into the details, because you all likely know them, but it was the only case I could find of a top shelf pitcher being traded for a middle of the order hitter...in the middle of the season.  And, as the day unfolded and the A's made a couple more moves, Kyler and I were emailing back and forth things like this:

From: Kyler
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:19 AM
To: Louie
Subject: RE: TINGTANGWALAWALLABINGBANG
Kyler
Tommy Milone/ Sam Fuld swap

 
From: Louie
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:32 AM
To: Kyler
Subject: RE: TINGTANGWALAWALLABINGBANG

#BillytheBeaneissmartertheneveryoneatmakingbaseballtrades


from: Kyler
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:36 AM
To: Louie
Subject: RE: TINGTANGWALAWALLABINGBANG

Percicly. Plus the A’s offense is already good and now they can throw out a starting rotation of Samardzija, Lester, Gray, Kazmir, and hammel.

#BillyBeane’sfirstworldseriesteam

I know...we are pretty lame, but we're lame together and would welcome anyone else being lame with us.  The point is, Billy Beane had a plan and executed it to perfection.  I am actually rereading Moneyball right now and just passed the section where he is working a trade to get Ricardo Rincon while trying to dump Mike Venefro and/or Mike Magnante (Mags ends up getting the DFA and Venefro ends up not going anywhere, but he does get Rincon) to not increase payroll.  In reading the section (and others throughout the book), it becomes clear that Beane gets a plan and then is relentless until that plan is complete and that he is always trying to make sure that he is 3 steps ahead of the competition and whoever he is dealing with.  According to Michael Lewis (the author of Moneyball), teams started mistrusting Beane and thinking he knew something they didnt to the point when Beane called asking about a player, which ever team he was calling suddenly started thinking about that player in a much different light than they previously had.  The book is well worth the read for those of you who are literate.  If you want, you can borrow my copy,  I should be done with it by the middle of next week or so (I have started reading while I get ready for work in the morning and it is glorious.  I prop the book open on the bathroom counter and read while I do things like brush my teeth.  I have always loved reading, but have found it difficult to find time to do, expecially with the littles now).
What the Rays got in return for trading their best player
Obviously, Beane couldnt have known the other blockbuster was coming down the pike. After days of "Will they or wont they" about the Rays moving David Price and after their recent 9 game winning streak took them from "They surely will" to "I'm not so sure they will", they did.  And what they got back might as well have been called the Poo Poo Platter.  This might seriously go down as one of the worst returns for a Cy Young winning pitcher in his prime with another 1.5 years of team control in the history of baseball.  For Price, the Rays received 2b/SS Nick Franklin, who is decent but couldnt crack the infield in Seattle after the M's signed Robinson Cano to take Franklin's 2b job and has been solid but unspectacular in AAA, and Drew Smyly, who is a decent enough pitching prospect with Major League experience in the rotation and bullpen, but whose best work is out of the pen and who I desperately want to be John Smiley's long lost illegitmate and partially illiterate bastard son.  If he were, this would be a win for Tampa...everyone needs some of John Smiley's progeny.  As it is, Tampa would have been better off holding on to Price and trying to spin him this winter for something a little better.
Russell already has 6 HRs in 22 games with the AA
Tennessee Smokies
This trade makes what the Cubbies got back from Oakland for Jason Hammel and Jeff Samardzija (top prospect Addison Russell, 2013 first round pick Billy McKinney, useable pitcher Dan Straily and a PTBNL) look like a king's ransom.  It also makes Theo Epstein look like a genius for jumping out ahead of the other deals and possibly even coming out on top of a trade with Beane (Hammel has been downright terrible).  I would probably take the Cubs return over the Rays return even though the Cubs had to give up 2 pitchers to get it (neither of those pitchers is in the same stratosphere as Price).

The other deadline day deals were pretty minor, though a couple of them did free up playing time for a couple of the young guys I have been sitting on all year and altered the fate of some of the other prospects owned in our league.  Boston's trade of Stephen Drew will allow Xander Bogaerts to move back to SS, STL dealing Allen Craig to Boston opens up time for Oscar Tavares to show what he can do in RF, Assdribble Cabrera going from Cleveland to the Nats hopefully opens the door for Francisco Lindor at SS for the Tribe, Emilio Bonifacio going from the Cubbies to Hotlanta opens the door for Arismendy Alcantara to play 2b everyday (or move to CF and bring on Javier Baez for the second sack) and Jared Cosart going from Houston to Miami hopefully pushes Andrew Heaney's return to the Big League team back to next season (SUCK IT BOB!).

Next up, ass hDLes!  There are only two this week, but one is kinda personal.

SP Cliff Lee - UCCMA - Left Flexor Pronator Strain - Likely out for the year
This is not the personal one.  Lee was dangled at the deadline to a number of teams who are no doubtedly thanking their lucky stars that they didnt give up some prospect to get 30 pitches worth of Cliff Lee.  On the 31st pitch of last night's game, Lee winced, dropped a loud, clearly audible F-Bomb, and walked off the mound.  It is the same injury he had earlier this season (even if it sounds pretty made up) and will likely require surgery this time around, which would end his season.  Uncle Jimmy and I were discussing it last night and he decided, "I guess Lee is one less to have to debate keeping...especially at $34."  So at least he's looking at the bright side.

This is all he'll be doing for a while.
RP Shae Simmons - KIODL - Right Shoulder Strain - No time frame
Someone on John's team got hurt.  In other news, the sky is blue, water is wet, and taquila is delicious.  This isnt the end of the world for John, but I cant imagine former Fastenal employee Shae Simmons holding on to a roster spot with John already rostering like 2214 players on the DL.  If John isnt carrying Yadier Molina, he sure as hell isnt carrying Shae Simmons...unless Simmons has pictures of John doing questionable things while wearing only his undies and a classic Viking (Norse, not Minnesota) helmet.  Who am I kidding, several of us already have those.  Siyonara Shae.

And now, the moment we have been waiting for...the long awaited answers from Bob.  Bob really needs no introduction, hes the guys whose team is dominating the standings and who keeps biding $1 more than you do for a player that you really want (see Dee Gordon, but dont tell Kyler, he isnt ready for that yet).

1) I'm gonna start with my favorite one. You get to hang out for a meal with any 3 people in the history of the world. What meal is it, what are you eating and who are the 3 people. Why did you choose each of these things?


Judith Beheading Holofernes by Caravaggio
There are a lot of people I'd like to meet Jesus, Lennon, Caravaggio would be the 3 that come to mind, but if I was going to meet them I'd want it to be one on one. If I am having a meal with 3 people at the same time I'd keep it light and invite my grandpa ( he took me to my first Cubs game when I was 6 years old) Ernie Banks and Stan Hack (my grandpa always loved him). We could talk Cubs baseball and eat pork chops til we drop!
I have to admit, I had no idea who Caravaggio was until you mentioned him and I went to look him up (16th century painter).  I am pretty impressed Bob, who knew you were that deep?
2) Youre in first place right now and you have been for most of the season. Are you watching what is going on in your big $$ leagues and then copying that or are you using your extra years on Earth to inform your decisions? Basically, how are you doing it and do you think its going to continue? Whats the prediction for the ATers?
Definitely extra years on earth, invaluable! $ leagues not going so good right now. It's a 12 team league and wavier wire is tough because guys are scooped up so quickly. I think some guys are working fantasy 24 hours a day. It's mainly about the draft, if draft didn't go well you have to live with it. Will the success in our league continue? Tough call. I have a lot of young players who have had great first halves, just hope they continue in second half. Overall I'm still confident Aters finish season with best record in league then lose to a weaker team in the playoffs!
From your lips to God's ears, Bob.
3) You have been pretty aggressive on the waiver wire thus far and have only $32 left to get free agents and we are just coming to th All Star break. Was this a tactical move or is it just the way it worked out? Are you worried that you will run out of cash at some point and be left in a bind?
I'm not worried about the money left for waivers, that's the nice thing about a 10 team league there are enough quality players for injury fill-ins. My strategy on early spending is to get young players on my roster and see if I can steal a few for keepers!
4) I know you are one of the die hardest of the die hard Cubs fans. Whats the prediction on bringing up Baez, Bryant and now Addison Russell? When will they be up, where will they play and when will the Cubbies be relevant again?
I've been saying the Cubs will be relevant every year since 1969 so I MIGHT have a little blind spot there! I'd start bringing up the minor leaguers now and let them sink or swim. I've watched the Cubs let kids season in the minors for years and when they come up at 24 or 25 they flop anyway.
5) BIlly Hamilton for $30...How are you feeling about that right now? What is your prediction for the rest of the season for him? Who is your favorite player on your team right now? Least favorite?
Billy Hamilton is a taboo subject, don't want to jinx him! My favorite player on the team is Rizzo. My least favorite is Wainwright, love his numbers but he's a Cardinal for Gods sake.
6) If you win the Tater Crowns, where is the first place you are taking them and what kinda picture are you taking there for me to post on the blog?
I'll wait and decide what to do with the Tater Crowns if I win!

7) Why are you such a dick?
Spent years and years perfecting it, don't see any point in changing it now.
Thanks Bob, that was surprisingly non-dickish, but I wont be fooled!!
I will hit up the stat boards in another post.





No comments:

Post a Comment