Wednesday, July 16, 2014

All-Star Game List of 10

Well as I watch this game I have a few things I want to bring up.  I wanted to call it a top 10 list but frankly not all of it is top ten material. 

1) Who the hell was that women singing "forever young" and the national anthem?  Thank you maker of DVR as I was able to fast forward through that after seeing but a few brief seconds.  Seriously MN, how about getting Bob Dylan to actually sing his own song.  I know it would have sounded only slightly better but at least there would be a reason for it being bad (He's old and can't sing very well anymore).

Tom Verducci 2011.jpg
Verduche the Duche
2) Who is this third guy calling the game with Buck and Reynolds?  Well his name is Tom Verducci or Verduche.  I have yet to hear him say anything worth while.  Did you know that Saint Louis Park is just 10 miles away from Target Field? 

3)  I'm not sure if any of you knew this but Todd Frazier played in the 98 little league world series.  Also he got to stand next to Derek Jeter  in 98 before a game.
 

4) I kind of have a man crush on Mike Trout.  He makes me excited to see baseball the next 15 years.

5) This has actually been an entertaining game. 

6) Tennis ball green should be outlawed in baseball.  The only team that should be able to wear that green is the Seahawks and even they shouldn't. 

7)  I hope no big names retire next year.  I am just ready to watch all-stars for being all-stars.  Don't get me wrong, Derek Jeter is one of the best if not the best players of my life time.  Despite hating him for being on the Yankees, I have nothing but respect for the guy.  Year after year the guy was solid year after year and deserves all of our respect.  He played great ball and was never an arrogant ass like so many young players these days.  His send off was nice and he played well tonight.










8)  Beer and Baseball are a great combination. 









9)  Finally catching up to live television sucks.  I hate commercials. Have I mentioned I am thankful for the person who invented the technology that allowed for the creation of the DVR?

10)  I really can't stand Carlos Gomez.  He's a spaztic player who is going to have a career ending injury due to swinging the bat to hard.  He makes some amazing plays in the outfield but mark my words he is a temporary success.  I didn't like him on the twins and I don't like him on the brewers.  

11)  Just for the hell of it, here is my prediction for the rest of the season.

AL Division Winners:
Tigers, Orioles, Angels

NL Division Winners:
Dodgers, Cardinals, Miami

AL Wild Card:
Royals, A's

NL Wild Card:
Braves, Giants

World Series:
A's vs Dodgers

Winners:
Dodgers
Yep! That's Dodger's Lingerie! 

3 comments:

  1. Why is Gomez a temperorary success? He does take some incredable hacks but in the end he still puts up great numbers. His style fits perfectly for what the Brewers need. Him and Garza bring personality to the club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John-I didnt see this until Kyler posted a comment (the comment sends an email to my phone, but the post doesnt...makes sense right?). I didnt watch the game, but I will post my non-game watching thoughts on your thoughts about watching the game.
    1) The woman who sang "For-ev-ver Ya-a-a-a-aaang" was actually a man named Rod Stewart. Though, with the hair do and all the plastic surgery, I am see why you would think he was a girl. It blows my mind that women in the 70s and 80s thought he was a good looking man.
    2) Verducci is actually a pretty solid writer. I dont know where he his now, but he used to be the head baseball writer for Sports Illustrated. I dont know if I have ever heard him announce anything and he very well could be Rick Reilly part 2 (a solid writer who sucks beyond comprehension when on camera, even though Reilly from the last 2 years was nothing but a pompus ass hole. When he was at SI, his column on the last page was always the thing I looked forward to most).
    3) WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?! Youre spoofin me, right?
    4) What kinda excited are we talking about here? Like "Hey thats pretty cool and I will occasionally watch him with interest form afar" or "I am building an alter in the corner of my room and planning on making a "Mike Trout" jersey from pieces of Mike Trout?
    5) The softball game I had that caused me to miss the ASG was not as entertaining.
    6) The only reason they wear that awful highlighter color is because Selig wont let them wear anything fun any other game during the season.
    7) I dont know when a player retiring turned into a "Lets have every team in the league parade this guy around their stadium and give him some stupid going away present." I mean, even when Ken Griffey Jr retired, he just kinda went away. I know Jeter is good (though I wouldnt say he is even in the conversation for best player of anyones lifetime because there was never a time when he was even the best player in the AL for a given year), but if he played for a team like the A's or Padres, there is no way he would be getting this treatment. Tony Gwynn didnt and Tony Gwynn > Derek Jeter
    8) Preach.
    9) I too love the man/woman/child that invented the DVR. Other than sports, we havent watched live TV in the Grupe household in many months. It makes me wonder why companies continue spending money to make commercials
    10) I will admit, I have never been much of a Carlos Gomez fan. He rubs me the wrong way and I dislike that he tries to use the CarGo nick name (its even listed on BR.com). But...looking at the stats, he has improved in every season he has been in the Bigs...and that doesnt happen without some pretty serious hard work. If you would have told someone when he was with the Twins that he would be hitting .300 and be on pace for 25 HRs and 40 SBs only 5 years later, other than the SBs they would have looked at you like you were on PCP. The man can play, and judging by the improvement rate, I dont think its a fluke. He may very well injure himseld because of how hard he swings and plays, but that is a risk worth taking. I would rather have a guy that tries all the time than one that loafs it sometimes.
    11) I will hit this in another post sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lou - you referring to "hitting" the topic of post-season predictions or the lingerie model? I'll let you figure out which one I (we all) hope it is...

    ReplyDelete