Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Week 16 Waivers - Kyler shifts his focus from SS to 1B

There wasnt a ton of activity on the waiver pick ups this week, which is both good and bad for me.  It's good because it limits the amount I have to spend thinking about guys like Eric Hosmer and Matt Adams (who both play first base and who were both picked up by Kyler this week).  It's bad because then my brain starts trying to think of other things that I can think about and then try to put to paper (keyboard?) and out comes things like the LoudAAs and other randomness that only makes sense in my head.  I dont have much time, so I will try to add some bullet points tomorrow.

Since I already spoiled it, we will start here:
1b Eric Hosmer - $1 - BySs - Drop RP Neftali Feliz
1b Matt Adams - $2 - BySs - Drop 1b Justin Morneau

I love that doing these waiver pick ups has prompted things like this email I received from Kyler this morning:
 
From: Kyler 
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:06 AM
To: commish
Subject: RE: keisterschlaagan
Before you rip into my waiver pickups on the blog today you should know that the reason why I picked up two more first basemen is because I have the waiver money to pick them up and hope at least 1 pans out. It has been a weak spot in my lineup all year.
Let's count the players with 1b eligibility that will be on the Backyard Superstars roster when Monday rolls around: Hosmer, Adams, Joey Votto (DL), Lonnie Chisenhall (3b as well), Daniel Murphy (2b as well), Jonathon Lucroy (C as well).  SIX PLAYERS who can move into that 1b slot!  There are only 4 OFer on the team for 3 spots.  Don't get me wrong, I actually have a borderline unhealthy like for Hosmer (really, any like at all for him should be considered borderline unhealthy) and I think that he will have a solid second half.  Same goes for Adams, though I am more ambivelant towards him (prolly a Cardinal thing).  Both players have been on huge runs over he past month (330/402/462 for Hosmer, 333/362/600 for Adams) and either should help the revolving door that has been the 1b slot on BySs, but Kyler, lets call it what it is, a ploy to own every 1b available on the waiver wire so that if someone has an injury, they have to deal with you.  This is commonly seen in fantasy football in regards to bye week QBs. 

In fact, I pulled this on someone in my work league a couple of years back.  I picked up like 4 QBs one week and he ended up starting someone like Charlie Batch because there were no starting QBs left on the wire except good old Chuck.  I dont think that guy talked to me for like 3 or 4 weeks after that.  Its a bold move, Cotton, and more viable strategy than wearing a blindfold during a sudden death dodgeball match.  I am excited to see what happens when Stephen Vogt (C, 1b, OF), Steve Pearce (1b, OF) and Kelly Johnson (1b, 2b. 3b, OF) are on BySs this time next week.  Keep doing your thing Kyler.

RP Pat Neshek - $5 - KIODL - Drop SP Jeff Locke
Most people who throw underhand at some point stop when they get to playing real baseball, but not Pat Neshek.  Neshek is a nice player (an even better story) and a former Twin, but he probably could have been had for $5.  Locke has struck out 38 batters on the season.  There are 10 players who have struckout 38 or more batters in the last 30 days.

SP Jesse Hahn - $2 - MBHB - Drop 2b, 3b, OF Josh Harrison
Harrison's All Star selection is right up there with the selection of Al Pedrique to the NL All Star team in RBI Baseball as far as things that make you go hmmmm when it comes to All Star teams.  He has been decent, but nowhere near deserving of an AS bid.  Hahn gets to pitch in nice, roomy Petco field and so far has racked up 47 Ks in 40 2/3 innings with 5 wins, a 2.21 ERA and a 1.06 WHIP.  He is currently down in AAA because he has options available and much of the rest of the staff doesnt, but he should be back up in the next few days to make a Saturday start.  Just like that I am back in the San Diego Padres rotation, only now I get the comfort of knowing that Yanger is playing 3b behind him instead of Chase Headley.  I am sleeping better already.

 

2 comments:

  1. Love the black-on-black choice for the second half of the post today - makes for easy reading. Is that in honor of Darwin Barney's DFA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured since it was short I should at least make it difficult consider that the challenge portion of your quiz

    ReplyDelete