Monday, September 22, 2014

It's Rookie Time

This weekend of football had some very interesting happenings but I have to start this post talking about a couple things that happened to me this weekend. I was looking forward to this weekend for quite some time. It started with my buddy's 21st birthday on Friday night. I witnessed something that night that completly blew my mind, a women fell into the street. Just poof and she was gone! How the hell would that happen? Well, a guy had decided a couple minutes earlier to take the storm water drain cover off on the street leaving a human sized hole in the road. This girl came walking along and happened to step right over it and poof! Luckily the drain wasn't terribly deep and there were cops right there to help pull her out, but it was the strangest thing I have ever seen while being out on the town. I had to text my friends Saturday morning to ask if it really happened or if I just imagined it.

Saturday morning started out with some awesome (or awful, depending on how you look at it) golf from me. First of all, I would like to say congrats to John who beat Louie and I. I would like to say that I only lost to Jonathon T. Sisler by 16 strokes (this is totally skewed because I took about 80 mulligans throughout the 18 holes). If anyone is wondering what my golf game looks like, imagine a golf ball going up into the air and then taking a sharp right turn and getting lost in the tall grass/ field near by. Or if there is any water hazard in front of me, I will find a way to hit multiple shot directly into it. I even hit the ball so bad once that with the backspin it rolled behind where I started from. So I'm pretty much the next Tiger Woods. But anyways on to the football.

This is Blake Bortles girlfriend. Looks like he does good off
the field as well.
Week 3 of the football season brought us some great games, including a Super Bowl rematch in Seattle, but the biggest story lines to me from the weekend were the two rookie quarterbacks that were brought in. In Jacksonville, Blake Bortles made his first appearance of the season as the Jaguars were getting taken behind the woodshed by the Colts. I remember hearing all preseason long how good Bortles looked but Jaguars management kept saying they weren't going to play him this year and that it was Chad Henne's team.Well two and a half blowouts later it was Bortles time. He came into a game that the Jags were losing 35-0 so the stats are a little skewed since a lot of backups were in but Bortles looked fairly good for his first start. He completed 14 of his 24 pass attempts for 223 yards and 2 td's. He did throw two interceptions to go along with it but that is to be expected when your a rookie seeing your first regular season action. With that performance, the job and the future of the franchise will definetly be handed to Bortles. It will be interesting to see if Bortles can help the Jags win enough games to keep the coaching staff around. If not they may be looking at a new coach next year which is never good for young quarterbacks.

This is your quarterback Minesota.
The other rookie that made his first game appearence was Teddy Bridgewater for Minnesota. This move was forced do to an injury to starter Matt Cassel. Cassel apparently broke some bones in his foot and according to ESPN, may be done for the year, not that it really mattered anyway. I had this game on my computer while watching the Packers game on TV with Louie. When we saw Teddy come in we both said Cassel just lost the job. Even if Cassel wasn't hurt, once the Vikings brought in the new exciting rookie Bridgewater, they couldn't go back to the same old guy who keeps losing games for them and throwing picks. Teddy went 12 of 20 for 150 yards in a game that was suprisingly close all the way to the end. Not bad for being unexpectedly thrown into the game. Going forward, the Vikings have an incredably tough schedule so Teddy will have a chance to show if he can beat some of the best teams in the conference. Barring any kind of injury going forward, the Bridgewater era has begun in Minnesota. Let's just see how long it takes the fan base to turn on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment