Friday, September 26, 2014

Finals - ass hDLes and Keepers

Right now, the championship is Tom's to lose.  With only the weekend to play, Tom has an 8-4 lead with only a couple of categories realistically up for grabs.  Runs and RBIs are two of the categories that arent out of reach for Zach, but are on the borderline of being run aways from Tom.  It doesnt help that this weeks lone ass hDLe (since the rosters are at 40, there is no need for the DL anymore...therefore, if a player is missing more than a couple of games as rest, I am deeming him an ass hDLe) is currently starting at 1b for Zach.

1b David Ortiz - Wrist injury of unknown severity - Likely done for the season
The Bo Sawks had off on Monday, then Ortiz went 0 for 3 with a walk on Tuesday and managed to reaggravate/reinjure a tendon in his wrist (reports I have seen have not specified which wrist) that caused him to miss part of the 2008 season and to be terrible enough in 2009 that there were extremely loud PED calls when he came back strong in 2010 (quick note -- I am not saying that he has never done roids.  There have been enough Bo Sawks indicated via reports (say it aint so Mo Vaughn) or failed test (Manny might be trying to get preggers!) to say it isnt far fetched that Ortiz had access to something should he have wanted it.  Hell, supposedly Ortiz even tested positive in the supposed anonymous tests the union did back in 2003 to see how much of a problem PEDs actually were in baseball (remember, while it would have been illegal to the United States for Ortiz to have steriods without a perscription, there was nothing in the rules of baseball that detailed their use as illegal, so that 2003 test does not prove that Ortiz was willing to break the rules to gain an edge...just that he was willing to break the law to do so).  But realistically, that wrist injury likely sapped much of his power and bat speed, enough to the point where he would have struggled to catch up to mediocre Mike Fiers type fastballs.  But since that injury healed (looks like prior to the 2011 season), Ortiz has been close to being the masher we all came to know from 2003 (which also happens to be the first year he was not a member of the Minnesota Tlosses) - 2007.  A hole at 1b is a bit of a fiasco for Zach, as typically, 1b is counted on to provide a decent number of RBI, if not runs, as well as OBP and SLG.  If this match ends up being close, Ortiz getting only 3 at bats in Championship week will be a huge factor. 
Also, I cant explain it, but I have a completely irrational love for players who have last names that start with a vowel but first names that dont.  The fact that I can call BJ Upton "BUpton" and his brother "JUpton" make me like each of them 78% more than I should (that doesnt mean I like them, cuz really...BUpton sucks it hard...I just like them 78% more than I would if his name was BJ McCrapperstein.  Ok bad example, if his last name was McCrapperstein he would be my favorite player).  DOrtiz has provided this joy for years. (The my lifetime LNV All Stars - C BAusmus, 1b - JOlerud, 2b - CUtley, SS - YEscobar, 3b - BInge, OF HAaron (he didnt play in my life time, but its my list, so screw off), MOrdonez, and PO'Neill, DH DOrtiz -- SPs JAbbott, SAvery, ROswalt, TOhka, RPs DEckersley, JIsringhausen (MVP!)...sadly I did not have to dig for this list as I have thought about this before).

As for keepers - Though I have messaged him several times in several different ways, I still have not heard back from Tyler, but I think that it has been long enough.  There were 8 votes cast (Tyler and I being the other 2).  There were 3 votes for March 1, 2015, 3 votes for at the draft, and 2 votes for the graduated plan.  I asked the 2 people who voted for the graduated plan to recast their votes for one of the other two options just in case I didnt hear back from Tyler and each of them voted for March 1, 2015.  So...that means that KEEPERS WILL BE DUE ON MARCH 1, 2015.  I will send out a couple of reminders.  If one does not send in keepers by that date, I will set their keepers for them using their 10 highest salaried players regardless of position. 

No comments:

Post a Comment